Options after Ontario suspends arrival of International students

We know this is heartbreaking news for the people who paid the fee and GIC money booked flights and hotels and planned to reach Canada in May or June. Many people already left their established job and now they are jobless. Until you reach Canada, you get a SIN number, you can not do even a remote part-time job in Canada.

I can think of 3 options and I am assuming you're a May intake student.

  1. Study online two semesters 
  2. Study online until the ban lifts and travel then
  3. Defer to Sep intake
  4. Study online for a year and continue the job, enroll for another year from Jan 2022
  5. Go to another province

  1. Study online two semesters: It is better to plan early and it is a less painful thing. You may study until Nov and then plan your travel. 
    • Advantage: Less stress
    • Disadvantage: If the ban lifts by July or Aug, you may miss the Canadian part-time job experiences. 
  2. Study online until the ban lifts and travel then: Here, if the flight ban and travel ban lifts, just pack your bag and reach Canada.
    • Advantage: Canadian job market exposure 
    • Disadvantage: Could be very expensive since next week's flight may cost you more than 150,000 INR or more. You should be relieved from your job since the employer wants a 30 or more days' notice period.
  3. Defer to Sep intake: Looks safer options. Do whatever you were doing in your home country and then plan to travel in Aug or September.
    • Advantage: Less risk  
    • Disadvantage: If your age is 35 plus, then you do not want to waste your time since you are already late. 
  4. Study online for a year and continue the job, enroll for another year from Jan 2022: This option looks better since it covers 8 months and we can assume that Corona could be under control by that time. Since you will be staying in India or your home country, GIC money will be saved for the 2nd course. Since you will be doing your job, you may earn and save the 1st-semester fee for the second program you wish to enroll. After 8+8 months courses which are 1+1=2 academic years education, you will be able to get 3 year Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) and it will be going to help you in PR.
    • Advantage: 3 years PGWP and less expensive to live in your home country.  
    • Disadvantage: Not everyone can save one year's fee since you have to do expenses also. Staying with the family and doing a job with the studies may be exhausting.
  5. Another province: Can we go to another province and start online classes from there? Frankly, I do not know the answer, but I need your support to find out if that is possible?

What do you think of these options? What is your opinion, let's discuss it in the comments below.

Popular Posts