Why one year of study is not sufficient for a Canada PR visa?

Usually, people try to opt for a study visa route to get Canada PR. 

Although, Masters's is an excellent option to boost your score. But getting admission to a university for a master's program is a time taking process. Most universities ask for the GMAT exam, and the fee is usually high for a business program such as MBA.

Here, we will talk about a Graduate Certificate program (Post Graduate) in Colleges that is very famous among international students. There are few reasons why international students opt for a Post Graduate Certificate program:

  1. Easy admission
  2. Lesser fee (in comparison to a university fee)
  3. One to three years of PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit)

One year program:

One year means two semesters of 4 months each, that is eight months. After an eight-month course in a college, you will be eligible to get up to one year Post Graduate Work Permit. 

  • Advantage: You spent only a year's fee, and you will be eligible for up to one-year PGWP and work.
  • Disadvantage: PGWP can be awarded once in your lifetime. So, if you, unfortunately, get a job one or two months after your PWGP, then your job experience would be 10 or 11 months. It means you will not get CRS points for that work. If you do not get an invitation by the end of your 12 months of PGWP, you have to go back to your home country. 
  • Boost in a CRS score: 
    • 15 Points for education + 0 points for the job experience (if you will NOT be able to get a job in time)
    • 15 Points for education + 45 points for the job experience (if you will be able to get a job in time)

Two-years Program/ One+One programs:

You can take admission in a two-year program in a college or study one year at one college and study another year at the same or another college. Both would be the same if your colleges were on the DLI list.

  • Advantage: 
    • Three years PGWP - After 8+8=16 months or 1+1=2 academic years of education, you will be able to get up to a three-year Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), and it will help you in PR. 
    • You can even move to another province to offer an easy PNP option if you stay or work there. Such as AIPP. 
  • Disadvantage: 
    • Cost of two years study
    • You lose 5 points per year in CRS due to age, if you crossed 29 years
  • Boost in a CRS score: 
    • 15 Points for education + 45 points for the job experience just after a year of job (if you will NOT be able to get a job in time)

It is highly recommended that you plan to study for two academic years to get a 3-year PGWP to avoid risks.

Do not take chances, because people may say that the employer will sponsor the LMIA and you can stay in Canada after one year course also. That is a possibility but that is not possible for every employer to sponsor your work visa. 

Do you have any doubt or you need one-to-one assistance? Click here to schedule a meeting with me.

Disclaimer: Based on some observations and there can be many factors, please do your own research. If you wish to hire a consultant, please make sure the consultant is IRCC registered consultant. 

Popular Posts